It's very common to see someone away from his family, friends physically and/or mentally in pursuit of personal mission, accomplishment. Unexplainable, irresistible force drives an Individual to a totally unexplored domain for an accomplishment which only that individual could feel and relish. Many have achieved it with dedication, hard work & perseverance.
This lifestyle stirred me when I saw a documentary about Antarctica. Most of the people are scientists working on some amazing theories, thesis, concepts & technologies. And few were carried away to this far away place for numerous reasons. And there was a story on Penguins which is truly intriguing.
Usually penguins cross large planes of Ice to reach the ocean at the offset of winter. During such expeditions, few land up in some strange places from where there is no way back as they will be stuck in thousands of sq mtr of land (ice) with no sight of ocean anywhere. One such penguin instead of following other penguins towards ocean runs astray towards mountains, an altogether unexplored territory for no reason. A scientist observes that even if that penguin is rescued and placed back in its habitat, it runs towards same mountains again! And the sad part is there is no way back from those mountains. It can keep exploring there without any sight of ocean until it meets its end!
How does this happen? Why this penguin wants to go to a place where no other penguins running to? Strange isn’t it. Well same case with us. There are few of us exploring unexplored territories in terms of career, satisfaction, achievement, accomplishment etc...From where there is no back to something which we lost!
'We didn’t lose anything...this is what we wanted. Our personal mission' May be true indeed. Somehow few thoughts creep in such as how our personal mission affected our dependents? Did this mission is aimed to satisfy only us? What all did we lose while accomplishing this? How does external world feel about this? Do we have enough life to enjoy this achievement once accomplished? And the biggest question is, Is this what we wanted? And are we on the same page when we wanted it? Thought about it?
I find myself totally bewildered when I try to think about 'what I wanted', 'when I wanted it' and when I think of future consequences of my personal mission which for unknown reasons has been my pursuit of happiness...
This lifestyle stirred me when I saw a documentary about Antarctica. Most of the people are scientists working on some amazing theories, thesis, concepts & technologies. And few were carried away to this far away place for numerous reasons. And there was a story on Penguins which is truly intriguing.
Usually penguins cross large planes of Ice to reach the ocean at the offset of winter. During such expeditions, few land up in some strange places from where there is no way back as they will be stuck in thousands of sq mtr of land (ice) with no sight of ocean anywhere. One such penguin instead of following other penguins towards ocean runs astray towards mountains, an altogether unexplored territory for no reason. A scientist observes that even if that penguin is rescued and placed back in its habitat, it runs towards same mountains again! And the sad part is there is no way back from those mountains. It can keep exploring there without any sight of ocean until it meets its end!
How does this happen? Why this penguin wants to go to a place where no other penguins running to? Strange isn’t it. Well same case with us. There are few of us exploring unexplored territories in terms of career, satisfaction, achievement, accomplishment etc...From where there is no back to something which we lost!
'We didn’t lose anything...this is what we wanted. Our personal mission' May be true indeed. Somehow few thoughts creep in such as how our personal mission affected our dependents? Did this mission is aimed to satisfy only us? What all did we lose while accomplishing this? How does external world feel about this? Do we have enough life to enjoy this achievement once accomplished? And the biggest question is, Is this what we wanted? And are we on the same page when we wanted it? Thought about it?
I find myself totally bewildered when I try to think about 'what I wanted', 'when I wanted it' and when I think of future consequences of my personal mission which for unknown reasons has been my pursuit of happiness...
Comments