Skip to main content

Why did I get a pet DOG!!

Why did I get a pet Dog? is one common question I encounter everytime I say that 'I stay alone' with my pet Dog 'Vinca'.
Vinca is 3.5 years old now. She is a Japanese Spitz by breed. Very alert, active & adorable pet. So how did it all started?

When I moved to Pune back in 2006 monsoon, I stayed with friends on bed sharing basis. Those ten days also included daily 3 Hrs of to & fro travel & tasteless tiffin food for dinner.
Well it was only me complaining everyone else was content with it! Without delaying any further I shifted to a split 1 BHK house in outskirts of the City. Then the question was who gonna be my room mate? How am I gonna get one? One source was to post at internal company news group which I did. And yes there were few responses too but none were interesting enough! Not that I was looking for a lifetime companion :) but none fit the bill mostly due to their habits or origins. So a month & half passedby without any room mates. Then a thought cropped in. Why not have a pet instead? One which would greet me
back at home, rally behind me for food, fluffy, sleep by my feet, lazy, Noisy & ofcourse one which would listen to me patiently without interfearing & changing my opinion :) Pretty coool! Sure I wont have all these qualities with a room mate ;) So I jumped into the nearby Pet shop on the way back home. After a careful thought I had decided to pickup a Persian kitty. Oh I love snowbell of Stuart litte. Its so cute. I flipped through the catalog of Cat breeds & finalized snow colored persian kitty which was scheduled to be delivered by Sunday. Well then I paid 1000 bucks to the shop keeper and left. I was very excited about it. Whole evening I was thinking of Snowbell!

Next day back at office, I declared this news to my Team Lead, Rahul pet lover himself had a pet Dog. This news didnt seem to excite him. After lunch we took a walk to the nearby River bed. He was full of his pet stories. It was a female Boxer breed dog. Very curious
by nature. He had named her 'Aspii' medical name I suppose given his wife, Priya being a Doctor. While at River bed, he suggested that Cat's are Selfish by nature. They will be around only when hungry unlike a dog which would always be there with you, would wait for you, would play with you, would jump on you, greet you, walk with you, listen to you, would even understand your moods. It took no time to understand this basic fact about the Cats and advantages of having a pet Dog sounded very convincing.

Back at Pet shop that evening, I informed the breeder about my decision to pick up a puppy instead of a kitten. He politely refused my request as he had already placed an order for
persian kitten. After some reasoning he agreed to get a puppy instead but asked for more money as a puppy is lot more expensive than a Kitten. Even a common breed would cost around 2000 bucks. I didnt wanted to pay any higher. And since I wasn't sure of Dog breeds, only requirement I imposed was height of it when completely grown shouldn't be more than my knee length :) There were Pomeranian available, but the shop keeper didnt allow me to pick up any of them saying that they are expensive. Finally I settled at paying 400 more for the puppy which he would get Next day (Sunday) morning.

I was in confused state back at home about the deal. One of the major concern was the known religious resistance about keeping a dog as pet. I didn't speak a word of the deal
with Mom on call.

Next day noon I was there at Pet shop to collect my puppy :) I couldn't see any sizeable puppy around. When I enquired, I was shown a very small puppy at the corner of a cage. I was told its female puppy. She was very cute extremely small in size. Just the size of my palm!! I handed over 400 bucks. He took her out & started pating. Just then a young lady walked in. As I was watching this small cute puppy, she took puppy in her arms & started caressing. She was very excited to see this cute puppy & asked its price. Fortunately shopkeeper intervened & handed over puppy to me :) Yes that was Vinca first time in my hands. I was very thrilled to hold her and hardly had any interest in listening to maintainence tips gievn by the breeder. I left the shop with Vinca & took a Rickshaw back home.

A long lasting lovely relationship had just begun...

Comments

Kuldeep said…
Nice reallllllllllllll Story.......well said......
Unknown said…
Good one and as alwas well written
Rahul said…
I want royalty on the usage of my daughters picture on this blog......

Popular posts from this blog

Personal Mission! Is this what we wanted?

It's very common to see someone away from his family, friends physically and/or mentally in pursuit of personal mission, accomplishment. Unexplainable, irresistible force drives an Individual to a totally unexplored domain for an accomplishment which only that individual could feel and relish. Many have achieved it with dedication, hard work & perseverance. This lifestyle stirred me when I saw a documentary about Antarctica. Most of the people are scientists working on some amazing theories, thesis, concepts & technologies. And few were carried away to this far away place for numerous reasons. And there was a story on Penguins which is truly intriguing. Usually penguins cross large planes of Ice to reach the ocean at the offset of winter. During such expeditions, few land up in some strange places from where there is no way back as they will be stuck in thousands of sq mtr of land (ice) with no sight of ocean anywhere. One such penguin instead of following other penguins to...

Social Service: What Inspired me? Real experience...

There I was in the midst of children conducting paper toy making session. Entire 8x8 room was reverberating with Noise, Cheer & excitement. While my friend Yagna helping out bunch of children fold the curves, this little girl seated right at front row pulled my leg to get help on corner foldings. I sat down, helped them complete the toy which when folded correctly resembles a life jacket :) Everyone at the end of the foldings were wearing one. The smile on their faces was truly tantalizing! Locating this place wasn't easy infact an eye opener. We had the cell number of a volunteer whom to contact once nearby the place. But the local NGO volunteer who picked up the call couldn't identify us & hence ended up disconnecting without giving any directions. We were told that the location is within the vicinity of this slum area. With despair we enquired with localites about this place, 'Abhyasikas' as its termed. No response. We thought of walking into the small bylane...